Pseudonymous Ramblings by Psychobunny

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Why I call him Dr. Way-Too-Generous

Background information: I had the first part of a physiological psychology class last semester and I have the second part this semester. The first part was a traditional lecture class with about 50 students. The second part, due to low enrollment (the class has only six students), is discussion and presentation-based and hence has a very flexible schedule. Turns out I despise flexibility. Plus, Dr. WTG has a great stage persona and I miss it.

Today I asked about my grade and told him that I'm still having trouble getting used to the new class format. Dr. WTG apologized because I'm not getting out of the class what I thought I would and said I should study further on my own. He then plucked a recently-old edition of a drugs textbook and a neuroscience textbook out of his own collection and and just plain gave them to me, telling me to build my library. This, after giving me the textbook for this class to start with and getting me a copy of another textbook from the publisher. After handing me two assistantships for which I was (and am) underqualified. After signing the forms so I could become a student member of the premier organization in my field and offering to cover the cost of the hotel room when I go to the organization's conference with him, Dr. Candid Advice, and (hopefully) some other students in May. After not only encouraging me to apply for the summer programs I did, but also writing recommendations for my applications and offering to help me pay the registration fees if I didn't have the money.

I can think of only two things I could possibly give him that could even come close to repaying my ever-increasing debt to him:
  1. My firstborn child (But he doesn't want kids. Scratch that.) or
  2. Organs (But he's in great health. My kidneys are safe from him.)

He won't even accept my undying gratitude. He just tells me to stop idolizing him. I'm beginning to suspect that this is all part of a secret master plan or something. I'm going to get to the bottom of this.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home