Ah yes, the title. I can't think of one right now.
The first week of classes is finally over! This means that (some of) the feeling of having delusions of capability is gone. I can do this. After all, I have to. And I want to. I love what I study. I've even been meaning to get more science content up on the blog, but other, more important things have been holding me back.Dr. Candid Advice has been keeping me hopping between the computer issues (bibliographic software, Mac OS 9 and OS X--gulp), the rat care, and the four-inch stack of abstracts. She spent the summer finding abstracts for the articles she wanted, and now I have two weeks to take notes on them, sort them all into related piles based on 14 separate categories, and find/print/copy/request every last one of them. I've done it before for another professor and I hate it, but I have a system. I start on them, then get angry that I have to do them, then start thinking "I'm going to beat you at your own game, dammit!", and do enough in one evening to keep the person busy for the next week (and that's not to mention the interlibrary loan staff--I've submitted about 50 requests). And for the life of me, I can't figure out why the entire process can actually be quite exhilarating when it's for your own projects.
I've enjoyed my other classes. I have one on research methods with Dr. Candid Advice (advertised on the first day as "eight credits of hell" over two semesters, but it sounds like fun to me), one on conditioning with Dr. Way-Too-Generous, one on abnormal psychology with a professor who hasn't yet appeared on the blog (I want to name him after his distinctive speaking style, but calling him Dr. Slow could be misconstrued. :) I'll call him Dr. Methodical instead.), and one on American foreign policy with two professors who will never appear on here again and so who don't require pseudonyms. I've run into deployment issues with the program I wrote for my conditioning class, though, so if anyone knows how to get Click Once publishing for VB 2005 to work, let me know. Please!!
The roommate situation hasn't been completely unbearable. Party Roomie has friends across campus in the dorms and prefers to party and to sleep it off there, and I haven't been home much anyway.
So that's what's going on here. How is everyone else's semester going?



0 comment(s):
Post a comment
<< Home