Pseudonymous Ramblings by Psychobunny

Monday, September 10, 2007

Laugh and you die

You know that saying, "It's like riding a bike. You never forget how!" I'm here to testify that Yes. You. Do. If you haven't ridden a bike for nearly a decade, you might not know how anymore.

I've been on a health kick recently, and I actually have some money for once thanks to working two decent jobs this summer, so I decided to buy myself a (cheap) bicycle so I could get a little more exercise. I walked to Wal-Mart today, bought the bike, a lock, and a tire pump, and went to ride home.

I immediately ran into trouble. I figured I probably just couldn't ride very well carrying packages, so I used the lock to chain the pump to the bike. I figured all was well and went to leave.

I still could not keep the front wheel straight. I actually had to reteach myself how to ride a freaking bicycle in the ditch by Wal-Mart. Then I did a little better, but it still wasn't pretty! Halfway home, I realized that part of my trouble was due to loose handlebars, but that really doesn't excuse my ineptitude.

Also, I took my first practice GRE yesterday. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't that great either (640 verbal, 660 math). I think I can do better, so I guess I'll just have to redouble my study efforts.

Labels: , ,

4 comment(s):

It's true, you do forget! I tried riding a bike a couple of years ago, and I was wobbling and couldn't get up hills (I forgot that it helps to zig-zag)

I've considered purchasing a bike since I could probably get to my department faster than on public transportation. Also, it seems like a "safer" way to get exercise than running alone, in the dark, in sketchy neighborhoods. But I'm hesitant because I live in a dense city, so it's very busy and congested with no room to ride. From the pictures you've posted of your town it seems like you'll be fine on a bike.

By Blogger Di Di, at September 11, 2007 12:32 PM  

Also, you already did better than me on the GRE! And if you practice, I bet your scores will go up even more, and you will ace the real thing!

By Blogger Di Di, at September 11, 2007 12:36 PM  

Yeah, we're in the boonies here at Moo U. :) And I bet biking would be safer than running at night if the streets ever calm down. Wal-Mart has some pretty cheap bikes (at least they do here, anyway). The cheapest one there was like $50 regular price, if I recall correctly.

And, I'm sorry! I really didn't mean to disparage anyone's GRE scores. I'm just looking at very competitive programs and I really need 700+ to stand out.

By Blogger Psychobunny, at September 12, 2007 11:16 AM  

Oh don't worry, I didn't feel like you were disparaging lower scores. I was saying, "Hey, I did worse than that, and I still got into grad school, so you're doing great!" Was meant to be encouraging. :)

I'm not embarrassed by my crappy scores because I don't believe they mean anything about me as a scholar, and because they don't matter after the admission process.

By Blogger Di Di, at September 12, 2007 12:19 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home