Pseudonymous Ramblings by Psychobunny

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Ah, an internet connection at last!

The Job: You know those funny-looking numbers on the bottom of your checks? I put them there and make sure they're correct. I also make sure your deposits get credited to your account and that they balance. Basic stuff. Mathylicious. But it really makes me want to go back to school where there's some variety. I spend most of the day half-concentrating on work and half-designing research in my head. I'm stealing a wireless connection right now, but once we get our own (tomorrow, according to the cable company), I'm thinking I'll start looking into online masters programs.

The Apartment: We were originally supposed to move in today, but Guy Friday's little sister was on a hormone-fueled bitchfest and kept stealing our stuff, so we begged a good prorated rent for the rest of September. Now we're almost completely moved in to the new place. We just have about four carloads of books left to move at our leisure.

It's been exciting to say the least. As it turns out, we're living in one of Ciudad del Agua's worst slums. Our first night here, someone tried to break into our car. The second night, the doorknob to the building's front door went missing, stolen during the night. The third night, I caught a peeping tom at the bedroom window. But it's okay, because (1) we've both lived in worse neighborhoods before and are used to it, (2) we're three blocks from the police station, and (3) our apartment is Filled With Weapons. Between us, we have a katana, two kendo sticks, two machetes (hey, they were 1 for $7 or 2 for $10 at the pawn shop, and who doesn't want a machete?), and more knives than we can count, plus an infinite variety of improvised weaponry. Yeah, most landlords aren't cool with machete-wielding tenants, but ours apparently couldn't care less. Our lease specifically stated that as long as the rent gets paid on time and the place is reasonably clean and quiet, we can use the place "for whatever purposes Tenants so choose".

Anyway, off to bed. Getting up at 7 am kind of sucks after years of not scheduling classes before 10. :)

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home