Okay, explanation is necessary.
I find the cute stranger situation from the previous post kind of upsetting for a few reasons.One, we all know my opinions about boys (#46-48). In case you don't feel like clicking, I don't date. Education first, boys later if ever. (Especially if the boy isn't adorably nerdy, and this one is definitely not nerdy.) It's sexist, and I hate myself for it, but I just don't trust guys any farther than I can throw them. (Especially ones who are interested in me, of all people!) I want rid of him, yesterday.
But two, he was really cute. And actually seems interested in me, for whatever reasons. It's different, and kind of, well, odd, but (dare I say this?) refreshing. (Gulp.)
And three, after getting rid of him for me, my roommates reconsidered. They want me to call him back. You know, as a practice guy. Because according to them, I'm not fated to end up alone, and I need the practice to woo the nerds I actually desire, and all sorts of reasons like that that kind of make some sense.
So they set a deadline. I have to call him, with a witness, by Sunday evening, or they will seize my phone, call him, and force me to talk to him. If I like him, the roomies promised to come with me to spy while I meet him at the student union (where he can't try any funny business and we girls can have "rescue me" hand signals). If I don't like him, that's the end of it.
Until they find another target for me anyway, adds the highly cynical Psychobunny.
Labels: My crazy personal life



7 comment(s):
I'm more sympathetic to your perspective than most people are, so I won't give you the "you would be so much happier if you were dating" and "why aren't you in a relationship" stuff... as I've been on the receiving end of it plently of times. Many people are baffled by the idea of having other priorities, they think you can't possibly not want to date, and they think there is something wrong with you if you don't. That's all bullshit. There is *nothing wrong* with taking time for your education and preferring to remain single for the time being.
That said, I think in this case, it would be all right to call him back and (maybe) to date him for a little while. Even if you don't trust guys (quite understandable if they are anything like most men in college) the main thing is whether you can trust yourself to stay true to your priorities. And from what I know about you, you seem like the kind of person who could date without neglecting your education. You wouldn't flunk your classes because of a boy. You would break it off if you felt that you weren't being treated right. So as long as you trust yourself to do these things, I think you might enjoy dating a little if you genuinely like him.
Plus, he might be nerdy on the inside. A lot of guys at my college seemed all cool and slick, but if you ask about their majors, they turn out to be serious and even geeky when it comes to their academic interests.
By
Di Di, at
October 12, 2007 9:46 AM
You're right. Thanks for the perspective (yet again).
I read your comment right before I had to dash off to class and didn't have time to reply.
Then, on the way to class, I saw him before I got a chance to call him. Made up a quick lie about why I "missed his call". And I really hope he's nerdy on the inside, because we're going out next week. :)
By
Psychobunny, at
October 12, 2007 3:05 PM
Ok, I have to say, that unlike previous roommates (I think) you must really like your roommates this year, otherwise I can't see you putting up with their crap. Not that I wouldn't be so in on it if I were there! :)
That being said, have fun on your date, don't worry about being in a relationship or not, just make a new sort-of friend. If you really end up liking him, all the better. Otherwise, Di di's right, nothing is wrong with your priorities. And actually, yeah, di di's right about the rest of it too!
By
Karen, at
October 13, 2007 9:49 PM
So what has developed with this? I have been hanging in suspense!
By
Anonymous, at
October 22, 2007 9:54 PM
Sorry. I've been both sick and busy with applications.
So I called him. He told me that his name was Dominique, but his voice mail sounded like he said "This is Adam". Now, he could have said, "This is Dom", but I decided not to call again to set up a meeting because I know I'll run into him again somewhere. What can I say? I'm a deeply suspicious person.
But I am trying my luck elsewhere... anyway, back to applications! ;)
By
Anonymous, at
October 22, 2007 11:25 PM
Something about this feels weird to me too. I don't know that he's good enough for you and I share your suspicions. I'm not exactly sure why though.
I hope the applications are going well for you though. Many wishes of good luck!
By
post-doc, at
October 23, 2007 10:25 AM
Aww! You're so nice. Thanks! And applications are going well.
By
Psychobunny, at
October 23, 2007 5:03 PM
Post a comment
<< Home